Irish Soda Bread
May 8, 2020
- 450g/1lb Self Raising Flour
- 1 level teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 dessertspoons Sugar
- 50g/2oz Butter or Margarine
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 250-300ml/½pt Milk (approx)
- 125g/4oz Shamrock Sultanas or Raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly dust a flat baking tray with flour.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Rub the butter/margarine into the dry ingredients until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sultanas or raisins, if used, and mix through.
- Finally add the egg and sufficient milk to make a soft dough, not too wet or sticky. Turn onto a lightly floured board and gently knead, just enough to bring the dough together.
- Transfer to the prepared baking tray and shape into a round about 4cm/1½” deep. Cut a cross on top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until golden brown and tapping underneath produces a hollow sound. Serve freshly baked and spread with butter.
- « Previous
- Next »